Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Apple Pumpkin Seed Loaf

So as I was creating this blog I actually was doing some baking for tomorrow morning.  I was making a loaf from whatever I had left in my cupboard so I could have it for breakfast in the morning due to the fact that I ran out of oats.  (I usually prepare overnight oats...which i will share with you in a later post)  I wasn't sure if I was going to share it based on the fact that I did no measuring and wasn't sure what the outcome was going to be.  But good news for you and me...it turned out pretty awesome so here is the recipe and lets hope my guess on the measurements turns out ok for you. (that is if you trust me enough to try this at home)  I guess I should also add that most of my recipes will be vegan gluten free (because those are my diet choices) but if I come across anything that needs to be shared not following that diet I will because I do understand that those diet choices aren't for everyone.

Apple Pumpkin Seed Loaf
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup quinoa flour
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
(which is you basic mix that will be as close to wheat flour as possible)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4-1/2 a cup of pumpkin seeds (i use raw whole ones)
1/2 cup ground flax seeds (beware of the fibre content...it will for sure keep your bowels regular)
1/2-3/4 cup of coconut sugar (you can use other sweeteners sometimes I will use maple syrup)
-mix all these ingredients together in a mixing bowl and preheat your oven to 400F
1 cup apple sauce (i use organic unsweetened)
3 tbsp of coconut oil (other oils will work like a grapeseed, please dont use olive oil it is not meant to be cooked with or heated)
-mix these "wet" ingredients into your dry ones and stir until it is all mixed in and there are no lumps (except your pumpkin seeds)
-then pour mixture into a greased loaf pan or muffin tin
-bake for about 30 mins (you will start to smell it cooking and when you do check on it...I like to test it but sticking a knife in the center....if nothing gooey sticks to the knife when you pull it out you are good to go if so then stick it in for another 5-10 mins and keep checking)
This is what your final product should look like! WARNING don't touch the pan without oven mitts....please learn from my mistakes (if you don't believe me ask my finger)!
So I will now usually take this and put it in a container in the fridge.  Because we don't use preservatives if you will not eat it within 2 days it is best to put it in the fridge.
Now to step it up a notch....my breakfast tomorrow will not be complete without some more good fats and proteins added to this.  My suggestion (because I add this to most of loafs and pretty much anything I can) spread some almond butter on there to fill up your tummy for longer.  Proteins and fats take up to 3 hours to be digested out of your stomach which is why it is important to have them in every meal to keep you satisfied longer.
And there you are! Enjoy in moderation please.....this was not meant to be consumed in one sitting (the whole loaf I mean and I know self control is hard when it comes to tasty items)
Let me know how it goes below!


No comments:

Post a Comment