Search This Blog

Wednesday 31 July 2013

The Herb Best Used to Replace Gelatin

I recently attended a cooking class as part of my credits for school.  The cooking class consisted of all vegan, gluten free cooking, which I have plenty of  experience with.  The person who put it on, who is also one of my teaches, was the one who wrote the cookbook we followed. 
Here is the link to her site (she is amazing, definitely one of my idols) http://www.livenutritionschool.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=74 
There was one clever trick I did learn at this cooking class that I have used ever since.  The secret is a herb called....Slippery Elm.
Slippery Elm is a herb perfect for healing and soothing the digestive tract.  It is especially good for intestinal ulcers. 
The perfect part about Slippery Elm when it comes to cooking our baking is its texture can be used to replace a gelatin.  When added to water it has the same gelatinous texture.
One of my fav recipes to use it in is strawberry jelly!
All you need is:
a cup of water in a pot, 2 tbsps of maple syrup and 4-5 frozen strawberries...bring to a boil and boil for 5-10 mins (stirring and chopping strawberries with a spoon when mushy)
then turn off and as water cools add 1 tbsp of slippery elm powder.  Stir in and let sit, stirring every couple mins until it is cooled and thick.
And there you go...vegan strawberry jam thats good for your intestines!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment